Presenting “Flourish on the Vine”

In June 2009, I started a new quilt project inspired by the words of John 15:5.  The imagery of vines and branches and fruit suggested wonderful appliqué motifs and I was eager to see how they could be interpreted in a quilt.  In November 2009, I began sharing the quilt’s progress here in my blog.  (To read these past blog articles, go to the category Flourish on the Vine.  The most recent posts are on top, so start at the end of the list to read them sequentially.)

Those who were following along:  saw the focus fabric that was used as a color scheme for choosing fabrics; watched the center panel develop, section by section; learned of the challenges I faced while designing fruit-filled swags for the borders and how they were overcome; observed other appliqué motifs that were added to the borders; and glimpsed some of the quilting designs as I discussed my thread selection.  What has not been revealed is the completed quilt – until now.

But before we get to that, here are some other details about the quilt Flourish on the Vine.

Striped Borders
The center motif is framed with half-inch wide green fabric flanked by strips of a quarter-inch wide gold-on-gold stripe.  This outline suggested the borders that should be used to surround the appliquéd sections.  As the scale increased, so did the width of the green stripe.  The border measures 1-¼” with a ¾” green stripe around the center panel and 1-½” wide with a 1″ green stripe around the outer edges.

Edge Finish
When I saw the effect of quilting half-inch clam shells around the striped borders, I wondered how I could echo that around the outside edges.  Could I possibly make half-inch clam shells out of fabric?  Sewing them was easy; cutting and trimming them was tedious; turning them right side out was tricky; positioning them evenly around the quilt required some ingenuity.  But I’m so glad I did it!  I’ll tell you more about how the clam shells were made in a future article.

The Name
Some quilt names are obvious, like The Lord is my Shepherd for a quilt depicting the 23rd Psalm.  And while I am the Vine or The Vine were possibilities, I kept looking for something that said a little more.  One day, the word “flourish” came to mind.  As a verb, flourish means to grow or prosper – to “bear much fruit” as it says in John 15:5.  As a noun however, a flourish is a curlicue, a spiral, a decoration – the quilt is covered with those!  The word was perfect; the challenge was to use it in such a way that it could read as a noun and a verb.  Hence, Flourish on the Vine.

I am the vine; you are the branches.
If you remain in Me and I in you,
you will bear much fruit;
apart from Me you can do nothing.

Back to main

Comments

1. Enice Burke says:

I am so excited to hear there will be a pattern. When I first saw this quilt I so wished I could make one just like it. Thanks so much for sharing your great talent. And your love of God……

2. kkwylie says:

Hi Vivian,
    The pattern will be available in December 2012. Stay tuned to my blog and website for more information. I’m so glad you like the quilt!
    All the best,
    Kathy

3. I was in Kingston,Canada to the quilt show I was fascinated with all these wonderful quilting.I have been trying to learn by myself, and in 2009 I was able to do a sampler in a workshop given in Puerto Rico. When I saw your quilt, I fell in love with it. And would like to make one also, so whenever you come with the pattern let me know.

4. Hi Linda,
    YES! The pattern will be coming out this fall. If you sign up for my email newsletter ( at https://www.kathykwylie.com), you will be sure to get lots of information about when and where it will be available.
    Kathy

5. Hi Kathy, I too am interested in a pattern for this quilt. Will there be one available – even better- could a kit be made? It is amazing!

6. Sounds great, Faye! Glad I could help and I hope you raise a lot of money for a good cause.
    Kathy

7. Faye Flood says:

As I said before WOW!!! I learned so much from you during the EQ7 classes. You may remember I asked you and applique question, nothing related to what you were teaching and you graciously answered it. Every two years The Lindsay Creative Quilters’ Guild produces a raffle quilt and sells the tickets with all proceeds going to a local charity. Our 2011 raffle quilt raised $6,336 for children with learning disabilities. Donna MacDonald chose the pattern for our 2013 quilt and we are just about to begin the quilting. It is amazing! I used the tip you gave me on the applique. As soon as I have a picture I will e-mail it to you. Certainly not your quality of work, but many participated and I am very proud of the results. Our 2013 charity is A Place Called Home a local shelter. In 2011 we sold every single ticket and are hoping to repeat our success.
    Faye

8. Joyce O'Connell says:

Kathy……. Wow!!! Wow!!! Wow!!!! Congratulations on having the talent and ability to create such a masterpiece. You are truly blessed…… Enjoy everything this brings to you.
    Sincere best wishes,
    Joyce.

9. Carol Crossman says:

Kathy God is surely using your creativity to affect the quilting world. I am so glad I know you and am now able to follow you online. I have read much of your teachings on your web site and look to follow more. I have been frequencing Quilter’s Cupboard where I see you are coming to teach. I would like to take EQ courses. I have EQ6 but Sue tells me it will suffice for your courses. Carley has been talking of designing her own quilt too and so I have suggested that she could consult with you on this. I look forward to spending time with you online. Thank you for sharing God’s grace to you, to us.

10. Hi Marie,
    Thank you for your kind comments. I’m hoping to develop some patterns, so stay tuned!
    Kathy

11. marie nigro says:

HI kathy
    I am a needleturn appliquer and your quilts take my breath away and I would like to try one of yours Instrument of Praise or Flourish on the Vine
    They are just beautiful!
    Marie

12. marie nigro says:

Hi
    I love it will there be a pattern? I would like to buy the pattern
    THANK YOU!!
    Marie

13. Dorothy Fu says:

A very endearing quilt, Kathy. So many beauty traits. Beautiful work of art.

14. Hi Kathy,

What a beautiful Shepherd who leads us into places we might never traipse without Him! Thank you, sweet one, for seeking to follow Him as He leads you to create art that reflects His love and His desires for us! This quilt appeals to my soul on so many different levels and I believe you were di”vine”ly inspired when you created the design and applied the labour to complete it! Truly a labour of LOVE…both yours and His!

Love, your friend,